Monday, February 8, 2010

Trip and first impressions

My first stop before arriving to Kuala Lumpur was London in which I’ve spend one night. I met 2 good friends, went for a dinner, and before my flight I ate an English Breakfast in a Spanish bar listening to Fado, Tribalistas and Buraca. That was very odd!

A short stop in Egypt, and then in Malaysia the first impact: the heat! I had been told that it was very hot and so on, but only experiencing it! I haven’t worn a jacket since I’m here basically and I sleep without any sheet on me. During the day is around 33º/34ºC, during the night around 25º/27ºC. Sometimes during the afternoon rains heavily so everywhere I go I need to carry an umbrella. Me and everyone heheh.

Secondly, I was impressed with the abundant nature everywhere! The airport is well designed so there are some interior gardens and all the way to the city there were fields and fields full of palm trees! Most of the roads have trees aside of many tropical kinds.

This is a photo of the airport interior.

I stayed for 2 nights in a student residence where I could hear a lot of animals outside (which seemed like a jungle), the praises from a near Mosque (more than half of Malaysia population is Muslim) and where I could experience 2 nights of sleep with that heat!

View from the residence window.

The second day after an interesting omelet with rise inside, I went for a near Shopping Mall and I have to say it was a cultural experience! There were so many people, lights, and noise, and impressively there was an artificial river in the middle of the shopping mall. I guess the photo speaks for itself!

Immediately I also noticed that the life standard is much lower than Portugal or Croatia, for example MacDonalds menu is around 2, maybe 2,5 Euros (I think this is the best worldwide example to compare prices heheh).

To finish, the amount of cultural diversity is overwhelming. Skin colors, language, clothes. It is a true cultural melting-pot country which I am very glad to get to know.

No comments: