Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Brother and trip to Vienna

A long time has passed since my last post, so I will do my best to update my blog with what happened in the past 2/3 months… if for nothing else, for the sake of having my memories abroad all together in one place.
So, in the beginning of November my brother, Sérgio came to visit me in Zagreb.

The highlight of his visit to Zagreb was to do sightseeing in a cemetery, the Mirogoj cemetery. It’s a real open air museum because of its architecture and memorial monuments. Also, one impressive fact was to see the amount of flowers in the tombs, which I believe it’s connected with the fact that Croatian people are very religious, therefore they frequently visit their relatives in the cemetery.

And during the weekend we went together to visit Vienna where we made a quick study tour of more or less 24 hours.

We started by visiting the Danube Tower with 252 meters height that was built in 1964!

From the top it’s possible to have an amazing view over the city and the river:

Afterwards we went to the city center and we had our first interaction with the old part of the city when we immediately got out from the subway and faced in front of us the St. Stephen’s Cathedral.

Then we went to Mozart’s House Museum and to the Church of St. Charles Borromeo:

In the middle of this church there is a structure that allows the visitants to climb until the ceiling of the church. Let’s just say that after climbing those stairs, my brother took a picture and we got down as soon as possible…

Then we went back to a small but beautiful church where we had the opportunity to listen to a free organ concert.

Next we visited a famous museum, Albertina and we still tried to visit the palace but it was too late. But for us the night only started, so we went for a concert of Mozart and Strauss music heheh.

When we got back we decided to go to a Disco near the Hotel we were staying. That disco had 3 different dance floors and cheap drinks, and it was full of kids, like us ;)

In the morning after my brother left but I still had time to visit the Palace, Sisi Museum and to formulate my own conclusions about Vienna. It is a beautiful city to visit and it makes us feel surrounded by culture and history. It is very well organized and prepared to receive tourists but the people are not that warm when they noticed that we cannot speak the language. But after seeing this advertisement, I gave an excuse:

Oh well, it is definitely a city to return and to enjoy the cultural part of it ;)

No comments: