Monday, March 17, 2008

Ohrid and Skopje in Republic of Macedonia

I have to say that the idea to go to Macedonia is not so exciting at the first sight. But I must say that it was in this country that I found the most magical place I have ever been in, the Ohrid Lake. This lake was in 1980 proclaimed a place of world cultural and natural inheritance by UNESCO, Macedonia's only World Heritage Site.

. ..............................................................................................

The conference started in Skopje but the venue of the conference where we spend 9 days was Ohrid. So, just check the view from my window room.

Then, during the fourth day the organization arranged a boat trip in the lake. It was amazing! I could have spent the whole day on that boat despite the cold… I felt I was in the most magical and extraordinary place on earth and since then this is my desktop photo.

And during those days everyone became a great photographer because it didn’t matter how bad your camera was or your skills, the nature would do the job. I saw amazing sunsets and it was just breathtaking every time I would open the curtains in my room… You may not believe but those are real pictures taken by delegates in the conference.

. ..............................................................................................

I definitely have to return to Ohrid somehow at some point of time. Maybe when I decide to write a book heheh.

. ..............................................................................................

Then, after the conference I had the opportunity to visit Skopje for one day with a much diversified group with representatives from India, El Salvador, Peru, Puerto Rico, UK, Malta, Brazil, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina…

. ..............................................................................................

We started by going to the MC Office in Skopje which has great computers and a lot of space. Then we went to the Fort of the city after crossing the river Vardar. From this Fort it was possible to have a good overview of the city but besides this there isn’t so much to visit.

Afterwards we decided to do a religious study tour so we end up going to a Orthodox church, then to a Mosque and then to a Catholic church. It was quite interesting because we had people in the group from the 3 religions who could explain the rituals and customs, and also by doing this we walked around the city and got to know it better.

After, we went with some friends from Macedonia to have some drinks in the forest, which is also normal in Croatia and then we catch the bus to Belgrade.

. ..............................................................................................

I end up spending 2 days in Belgrade with my friend Mia who received me like a queen and toke me with her everywhere around (Hvala puno Mia!) and then I returned to Zagreb, back to real life…

No comments: