Monday, April 27, 2009

The real difference between Portuguese and Croats

.
During Easter I went to Split where I had a lot of time for myself and normally in these occasions I also come up with rather interesting theories (at least for me). So while in Split I dedicated a bit of time reflecting about the differences I have been noticing between the people from my own country and the people from the country I have been living in the last 2 years and this is the result:
.
Croats are “black or while” and Portuguese are “grey”.
.
Croats (and I would like to emphasize that I am generalizing) are extremists: a guy is either cool or not, either they are dating or they are not, either they are friends or they are not. Generally they are very direct and straight forward people. They are a very nationalistic nation and although they seem into travelling, several Croats told me that they have here everything they need so they would never live abroad for choice. I know a lot of religious people, and I mean young people. Also I’ve heard from many people that they aim to get married, have a good house, raise kids, enjoy life. I have met so many happy people and families, happy with what they have, with who they are, with what they do. Normally they are not satisfied with the Government but I guess that is a global feeling. I think Croatian music is generally happier, they drink more and they work to party afterwards. That’s why I say that they point of view is much more extreme like “black or white”.

Portuguese (and I am again generalizing) are by nature frustrated with everything, with the country, with their lifes, with their job, with the weather, with the traffic, with the prices, with their emotional lifes… Normally Portuguese people always give the benefit of doubt “He seems an asshole but maybe this is not his day, I will give him some more opportunities”. Generally they are not proud of their country and they live convinced that all other countries are better. According to statistics majority of Population is Catholic but actually most of my friends are agnostic. I would say that Portuguese have difficulty to believe in happy endings, most of the musics are about sad love stories and my friends and even I tend to dream about impossible relationships. Sometimes the longest period of emotional relationships is the flirting, kissing and what we call “to have fun” part, to date is a very advanced stage and normally takes quite a while to begin. For all of this I would say Portuguese are more in between, more “grey”.

I would say the good thing about Croats it’s their capacity to be happy and to find happiness in small, beautiful things. They are more confident and proud of whom they are and of what they have. This is from my point of view highly influenced by the fact that a bit more than a decade ago they had to fight for their country and for their own freedom.

The good thing about Portuguese is that they live in this continuous frustration which also makes them always to look for alternatives and to change if necessary in pursuit for that happiness or perfection that they actually don’t believe exists. I also think this is present in Portuguese way of being for centuries and it explains a bit the discoveries period and why people who are blessed with a beautiful ocean, great fields and warm weather decide to engage in adventures and endless boat trips to find new worlds. But then again, maybe this is not the majority I am talking about…

The bad thing about Croats is that sometimes they just don’t care because they are happy. They are not concerned so much in details and perfection, and sometimes they don’t seem interested to find out other ways of doing things which could even be useful for their country or for their lifes. They are satisfied with what they have and I also believe this is visible in AIESECers in Croatia but the question is what else could they have or be? What about excellence?

The bad thing about Portuguese is that they seem never to be happy or satisfied, they complain so much about everything and they lack positivism. This would be good if people would fight and do something to change their lifes, but the truth is that many people don’t do so, and they complain their entire life. And AIESEC was a reflection of this bad side until a while ago, I think now things are changing…

Bottom line, both cultures seems similar on the first sight, and they are but some key values in the basic structure of these cultures are not shared.

Which one is better? I think that the best is to find a balance between being able to enjoy what you have and at the same time risk and challenge the boundaries that we impose to ourselves.

I think I manage to find a good balance between this 2 point of views after 2 years in Croatia and that is maybe one of the biggest learnings I will take with me… I’m actually starting to believe in happy endings…

.

P.S: of course these are statements based on my assumptions and perception therefore it is only an assessment, it may even be a bit grounded but it is not necessarily right and I hope it doesn’t offends anyone :)

No comments: